The Natural Farming Analysis Basis 2022 Nationwide Natural Analysis Agenda (NORA) is a report knowledgeable by surveys and focus teams performed in 2020 with over 1,100 licensed natural farmers and ranchers throughout North America.
What Farmers Stated
- Within the NORA report, 74% of survey respondents cited insect/pest administration as a considerable technical help want.
- Particular suggestions from natural farmers additionally underscores the necessity for extra analysis on managing pests akin to noticed wing drosophila.
Obtain OFRF’s Pest Profile on Noticed Wing Drosophila (SWD).
Watch the eOrganic Webinar on SWD featured in OFRF’s Natural Agriculture Analysis Discussion board 2022.
Know Your Pest
Noticed wing drosophila (SWD) is an insect pest of small stone fruit and berry crops. SWD is native to Asia and was first detected within the mainland United States in California in 2008.
Grownup flies are smaller than 4mm, mild brown in shade with crimson eyes.
Male SWD have a darkish spot on the forefront of the wing, unbroken bands throughout the highest of the stomach, and two darkish combs on every entrance leg pointing towards the tip of the leg. The wing spots are a simple to detect attribute, although these markings aren’t all the time current on newly emerged males.
Whereas tougher to establish, females have a pronounced serrated ovipositor. This enables feminine SWD to make use of the saw-like organ to chop the pores and skin of intact ripe or ripening fruit and deposit eggs contained in the fruit.
Key methods to handle SWD embrace:
- Organising traps.
- Pattern fruit for larvae.
- Create a barrier akin to exclusion netting or row cowl tunnels.
- Time your planting to offer your crop the higher hand.
- Lower the intervals between harvests.
- Take away cull fruit.
- Mulch, prune the understory, and harvest.
- Encourage the populations of helpful bugs.